Sunday, January 18, 2015

Murugesh’s Elegant 1956 Porsche 356: Your Ride

BOLD RIDE

Copyright © 2015 Bold Ride LLC.
 
porsche-356-1956-1

In terms of significant cars, the Porsche 356 might exist on a strata of its own. Based upon the humble designs of the Volkswagen Beetle, the 356 quickly became a standout performer amongst its contemporary sport cars. And to this day, 356 models are still some of the most sought after and highly regarded road cars to bear the Porsche crest. 
Bold Ride reader Murugesh N. has one, a gorgeous 1956 Porsche 356A, and when he isn’t practicing medicine, he’s taking it out for a blast around town. Read on to learn more about the car he calls ‘Bluey’.



porsche-356-1956-2

How did you acquire your ride?

A friend of the family had owned this car since 1989. I recently purchased it after I graduated from medical school. It has a 1600cc engine rebuilt to Super 90 specifications, and of course the beehive lights. It was actually originally delivered in Australia in right-hand-drive.
What drew you in when you bought it?

My father and I have a 1970s Beetle and a 1966 Morris Minor, so we like classic cars. This one was in such great shape – those sleek teardrop lines drew me in. Obviously to me she looks great, she’s the best car I’ve ever laid eyes on. I could have had a 993 Turbo for the same money, but a 356 was just what I felt I wanted.



porsche-356-1956-3

What do you feel like when you drive your 356?

At first, I was shocked. I thought to myself, “she drives better than my daily driver!” And a lot more fun too. It feels utterly amazing to drive the car around, and even more incredible because she’s a 59 year old lass.

It is sort of a ‘floaty’ drive. The engine sounds bubbly and has that characteristic flat-four note – fantastic. It has been said that you need to drive the 356 with the tips of your fingers. And I would absolutely agree.

What would you change about your car?

If I had to, I would probably change the interior, and try to make it as close to correct as it was when it left the factory. But I won’t do that until the current interior wears out.



porsche-356-1956-4

What have you done to make it a bolder ride?

I went ahead and added a luggage rack. I wanted to make sure that if I wanted to, I could travel around more comfortably in the Porsche.
Do you have a dream accessory for the 356?

I would love if it had factory air-conditioning. It’s very humid here in Malaysia, and it would just make it so much more comfortable on hot days – a real blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment