Back in August, we made our way out to So Cal to take part in a pretty special event. This was the 3rd annual Targa Trophy Holiday Cruise & Food Drive special event, in support of the Southern California Salvation Army.
Since Targa Trophy is a native Southern California brand, the rally chose two of its biggest markets – Orange County and Los Angeles (Newport Beach to Malibu) as the host destinations for the holiday road rally.
The way that the event works is similar to a timed scavenger hunt. Jason, the event organizer, chooses a route and drives it a few days prior. What we had to do, then, was stop off at seven different checkpoints along the way to complete the hunt. The checkpoints were like this:
1. Take a photo of the coast on Superior Road in Newport Beach
2. Stop at Pavilions off of PCH, purchase 4 canned goods for donation and take a photo of them
3. Take a photo of the San Pedro Bridge in Palos Verdes
4. Stop at the Palos Verdes Pavilions, purchase 4 more and take a photo of them
5. Take a photo of the Malibu Pier
6. Get a snack at the Malibu Kitchen Market, take a team selfie with the snack
7. Stop at Ralph’s Market in Malibu, purchase 4 more canned goods, take a photo of them
The winner of the event was the person who got the fastest time and completed all the tasks, which, in this case was 4 hours 17 minutes (the route was close to 130 miles long and went through traffic at some points).