Monday, September 8, 2014

1965 Volkswagen T1 Bus Splitscreen is German Perfection: Your Ride

 

Boldride 
                   
           

 

The Volkswagen T1 bus is one of the most iconic shapes to come from the now massive German automaker.

 A staple of the mid-60′s hippie movement, the bus gained a reputation of peace and love. But there’s much more to the love-Bus. It paved the way for the minvan bombardment of the late 70s and continues to be hailed as a collectors item.

One of our readers, Nestor, uploaded his very own Bus into our gallery, which he bought in his native Spain nearly 10 years ago. It is a 1965 T1 Splitscreen.

 A California-born bus, Nestor tells us how his left-hand drive layout was a rare thing to be seen along Spanish roads, and while it did need a bit of touching up, he took over the project himself and restored it back to pristine condition.


 

BoldRide: How did you acquire your ride?

Nestor: I traveled over 1600 miles to the north of Spain to see the van that had been announced in a VW magazine. In which years later that was mine that was published on the cover.

What drew you to it when you bought it?

I was in love with the curved lines of the VW t1, loved the safari front windows, I saw it had a lot of potential.

Does it have a name?

At first I called Pitiusa, as the Balearic Islands, as my family descends from Ibiza. But that was too cheesy, so eventually I left unnamed.




What do you feel like when you drive it?

Driving it is a luxury, especially with the windows open and the feeling of the air on my face.

What you would change about your car, if anything?

I would not change anything.




What have you done to make it a bolder ride?

I enjoyed customizing it to my personal taste, traveling with her, by Spain, part of France and even Germany.

Dream accessory for it and why?

I’d love to put some tires on 5-spoke’s radar, and a full roofrack.

Thanks to Nestor for letting us share his ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment