AUTOS CHEAT SHEET
Sometimes it’s the driver’s fault; certain people still think that oil changes shouldn’t be mandatory and that a smoking tailpipe isn’t a bad sign. Other times, there is nothing that can be done — like when a deer jumps out in front of the car while you’re cruising at 70 miles per hour and in turn the entire front of your car gets rearranged.
We spoke with a few industry experts and auto repair shop owners, and came up with 10 repair problems that cause most people to walk away from a vehicle. Whether it be tedious, dangerous, or just downright pricey, this cheat sheet compiles some of the worst automotive fixes in an effort to let you know when to let go.
1. Road salt is basically a carcinogen to cars
2. Rod knock that wants to blow through your block
For those of you who are unfamiliar with this term, by watching the video here you can get a pretty good idea of what I’m talking about when someone says “rod knock.” Drive a car hard enough, or without fresh fluids in appropriate amounts, and chances are that you will eventually encounter this issue, as connecting rod bolts and bearings wiggle their way toward freedom. Some people may try to ignore the issue by adding additives, which works all the way until the day a piston rod frees itself and goes charging through one end of your block.
3. The bent frame of shame
4. Electrical gremlins and varmints, oh my!
5. Blown head gaskets and paychecks
6. Heavy metal hybrid battery suicide
7. The transmission tunnel explosion
8. PCM failure = automotive brain cancer
9. Main wiring harness woes
10. A rank smell somewhere inside the cabin