Saturday, February 20, 2016

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has different take on his father’s death

SPORTING NEWS

Published By Jeff Owens
 
 
Dale Earnhardt-2000-051514-AP-FTR.jpg
 
              Dale Earnhardt and Dale Earnhardt Jr. (AP Photo)
                                                                         

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Wednesday was a big day in the NASCAR community. It always is.
It was the 14th anniversary of the death of Dale Earnhardt, who was killed on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500, sending the NASCAR world into shock.
 
While many NASCAR fans, drivers and others remembered the seven-time champion and paid tribute to him on Wednesday, Dale Earnhardt Jr. had a different take.

Earnhardt said his tweet was inspired by Gen. George Patton and his outlook on life and death.

“When Dad passed away, that’s kind of the way I felt about it,” Earnhardt Jr. said on Wednesday. “You feel kind of selfish more than that loss, because you are just like, ‘What am I going to do? How am I going to go forward, or how does this make me feel?’ That’s real selfish. His loss affected a lot people, not just myself.

“At the same time, you are real fortunate to have known him and fortunate to have learned and have the experiences that you had with him. You think about those and be glad that that was an opportunity that you got to experience.”

Kelley Earnhardt Miller, Earnhardt’s daughter and Earnhardt Jr.’s sister, tweeted her own tribute to her dad Wednesday morning.




Earnhardt Jr. said he saw all the tweets from others and decided to chime in.
“I saw a lot of people tweeting and talking and I just felt like pitching in and letting people know where my mind was at,” he said. “Instead of being sad about it, I think about all the awesome times we had and the good things we did and stuff that I think he would be proud of today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment