Thursday, March 31, 2016

2016 New York Auto Show: In Detail

BOLD RIDE

Copyright © 2016 Bold Ride LLC.
 
2016 Porsche 911R

If you’re a card carrying member of the media, and you also happen to love all things automotive, auto shows are totally overwhelming. There’s lots to see, little time to do it in, and you’re jockeying for position with hordes of folks who do not happen to love all things automotive. Nobody gives less of a damn about stepping in front of your perfectly lined up angle on the new Porsche 911 R, than a grown up with a selfie stick.
 
So, what’s an enthusiast to do in such a situation? Giving up isn’t an option, you’ve got to make the most of the experience, maybe even enjoy it. You could arrive really early in the morning, get some quiet time with the vehicles before the hungover Suits arrive, but that’d mean dragging your own sleep deprived body out of bed at an ungodly hour. Besides, there’s no guarantee that it’ll even be quiet. After all, The Suits have the annoying talent of being able to appear out of nowhere, even first thing in the morning. A talent no doubt acquired through years of attending corporate training seminars.



2016 Genesis New York Concept

My solution to the problem of foot traffic is to be as patient as possible (a task to be sure), and work around it by trying not to be where everyone else is. If there’s a press conference, I’m as far away from it as possible. Debuts are ‘exciting,’ and all, but honestly, is getting a blurry shot with a GoPro worth elbowing people out of the way? I think not. Besides, photos of the car were probably already leaked online, lets all take a deep breath and ditch the “We have to be first to be relevant!” way of thinking.
 
 

2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus

Instead of fighting for the same shots as everyone else, I made an effort to mix things up, and try to capture more subtle details around the show. Whether I succeeded or not is not for me to decide, but I will say that while editing my photos, I found a few that I was moderately pleased with. I cannot say that I had a favorite vehicle at the show, too much comparing of apples and oranges involved in making such a decision. I will say that there were three vehicles that I was particularly taken with , but to name them would be in bad taste, and unfair to all the other impressive hardware on display. Maybe they’re pictured here, maybe they aren’t, we’ll just never know.


Photo Credit: Visual Vocab for BoldRide

 

No comments:

Post a Comment